As the eight years of office for Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm comes to an end, the building trades can look back on her term with mixed emotions. The governor mostly delivered on a promise to give organized labor “a seat at the table,” in state government, and has bolstered the state’s prevailing wage law along with worker safety measures. ..
ANN ARBOR – It’s one thing to endorse a candidate – and hope he or she will support your causes. ..
MIDLAND – Structural iron started going up on the new “Strategic Services Center” near Dow Chemical Corp.’s headquarters last month. The 240,000 square-foot building will house operations for the alliance between Dow and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) ..
John Boehner, the Republican House leader who will become Speaker if Democrats lose control of the House in the upcoming midterms, recently offered his solution to the current economic crisis: “Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmer, liquidate real estate. It will purge the rottenness out of the system. People will work harder, lead a more moral life.” ..
The number of people working in construction is approaching a 14-year low now that the industry lost 21,000 jobs in September , while construction unemployment is at a September high of 17.2 percent, according to an analysis of federal employment figures released Oct. 8 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
DETROIT – This is a story about players and their playhouse. ..
- State AFL-CIO gives nod to to Whitmer for governor
- Falsely accused jobless claimants to get another day in court
- NMU invites students for a stay in The Woods
- Congress gets to work on multi-employer pension reform plan
- Senate party-line vote gives GOP majority on labor board
- Insulators urge: 'Unite for a Cure' for mesothelioma
- State review continues of petitions aimed at repealing prevailing wage
- Cadillac Tax delayed again; should be shelved permanently
- BWL spreading lots of capital for construction in our capital city
- Construction employment hums along in Michigan