Speaking at the memorial of the 29 miners killed in a West Virginia mine explosion, President Obama praised the risks the miners had taken daily to provide for their families. President Obama said, “So these miners lived – as they died – in pursuit of the American dream.” ..
LANSING – With no hope of seeing enhanced revenues through an increase in the state gas tax, and little movement on more road revenues from the federal government, the Michigan Department of Transportation on April 29 said it’s moving forward on a plan that’s bad news for the state’s crumbling roads – and the building trades. ..
DETROIT – Among the city’s impressive collection of high-rise downtown buildings, the 40-story Cadillac Tower owns a unique, albeit brief historical claim. ..
DETROIT – Construction of a new Detroit River International Crossing into Windsor is getting momentum, spurred along by the April 29 offer of $550 million to the State of Michigan by the government of Canada to get the ball rolling. The funds would be repaid by toll revenues. ..
We are not on the way to a double-dip recession, as some feared,” assured Ken Simonson on May 3. He cited statistics supporting three successive quarters of economic expansion in America. “The growth should be continuous for the rest of the year.” ..
BRIDGMAN – The D.C. Cook Nuclear Plant Unit 1 returned to service on April 9, following a 37-day refueling outage that employed more than 800 building trades workers. ..
- Legislature, Snyder OK new Straits pipeline tunnel
- Year-end legislative action: could have been worse for workers
- At home, on campus: New apartments meet a growing need at Wayne State
- BLS: fatal job injuries declined by 1% in 2017
- Scarcity of qualified workers may hinder construction
- News Briefs
- State closer to approving $500M Line 5 utility tunnel at Straits
- What's up in Foxtown: new building, old theatre put trades to work
- Jobs incline is old but good, U-M outlook says
- 'New NAFTA' gets measured, good reviews from labor reserved