WASHINGTON (PAI) – After months of stalling caused by Senate Republican filibustering, Congress finally extended jobless benefits for the long-term unemployed. Democratic President Barack Obama signed the bill July 22. ..
BATTLE CREEK – The building trades are building Toda America’s first U.S. manufacturing facility to produce lithium ion cathode materials for battery cells, another hopeful sign that the state’s economy is expanding into new technologies that will create new jobs and job descriptions. ..
LANSING – Patrick “Shorty” Gleason started his retirement from the Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council on Aug. 1, ending a long career of working with the tools as an iron worker, working with union members and then working with state and local lawmakers. ..
The subject of accounting rules for all businesses that contribute to defined benefit pension plans would draw a yawn from most everyone, but a new set of proposed guidelines for them would be “onerous and potentially devastating” according to a notice being circulated among union accountants and lawyers. ..
For my entire career I have worked for the advancement of union construction. To do so has required a great degree of personal optimism in the face of cynicism, inertia, conflict and declining numbers. Now even being the eternal optimist, I am worried about the future of the union business model and labor and management’s ability to safely navigate to a better future. ..
YPSILANTI – The Iron Workers Training Department and 650 union instructors from around North America descended upon Washtenaw Community College July 19-23, learning the latest lessons in the trade while making Washtenaw County the destination for yet another union train the trainers program. ..
- Labor braces for another year-end attack by GOP
- Will Dems finally go bold for nation's workers?
- Michigan starts to lag a bit with autumnal drop in construction
- Trades in concert at MSU Music Building expansion
- Masons rehab classic federal/postal building
- News Briefs
- Union voters help themselves on Election Day
- Marijuana legalization raises questions only the courts will answer
- State's new pot law lights up a few tokens of interest...
- BWL's substation offers high-voltage good looks