President Barack Obama on Labor Day sent a strong signal that he’s listening to calls for more government investment in the nation’s crumbling infrastructure – which, as importantly, would put thousands of construction workers back to work. ..
ONE OF THE MEN credited with the founding of Labor Day in 1894, carpenter Peter McGuire, suggested “setting aside one day in the year to be designated as ‘Labor Day,’ and to be established as a general holiday for the laboring classes.” The day, he said, “should first be celebrated by a street parade, which would publicly show the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations. Next the parade should be followed by a picnic or a festival in some grove….” ..
Coopersville – In June 2008 the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 275 lost a great friend and advocate for working people when Pat Kramer passed due to complications from surgery. Pat was a lifelong sufferer of juvenile diabetes, which ultimately shortened his life. ..
- 'What's not at stake?' Looming general election offers workers a chance to finally bring change
- Report stings Schuette for suing to deny OT money for Michigan
- Trades erecting hotel for Saganing Eagles casino
- Forced layoff ends, Operators back on road projects
- Contractors squeezed by material costs, tariffs, worker shortages
- From the ashes, union brotherhood arises to benefit stricken Boilermaker
- News Briefs
- He said, she said... Labor Day brings out the differences between Whitmer, Schuette
- 'Undo and screw' GOP shenanigans strip wage, sick leave proposals from Nov. 6 ballot
- 125 years - Plumbers 98 celebrates milestone