President Barack Obama on Labor Day sent a strong signal that he’s listening to calls for more government investment in the nation’s crumbling infrastructure – which, as importantly, would put thousands of construction workers back to work. ..
ONE OF THE MEN credited with the founding of Labor Day in 1894, carpenter Peter McGuire, suggested “setting aside one day in the year to be designated as ‘Labor Day,’ and to be established as a general holiday for the laboring classes.” The day, he said, “should first be celebrated by a street parade, which would publicly show the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations. Next the parade should be followed by a picnic or a festival in some grove….” ..
Coopersville – In June 2008 the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 275 lost a great friend and advocate for working people when Pat Kramer passed due to complications from surgery. Pat was a lifelong sufferer of juvenile diabetes, which ultimately shortened his life. ..
- Trades rally, sign up to support prevailing wage
- State lawmakers seem ready to OK reparations for unemployment 'fraud'
- New, improved physical ed building erected at Kellogg CC
- NLRB majority backs company line during bargaining
- GOP tax cut: fulfilling a corporate wish list
- Contractors also get some gifts from tax cut
- Construction employment up as 2017 was closing
- News Briefs
- Counter-petition drive launched to save Michigan's prevailing wage law
- New sheetmetal coil line puts Mall City on a roll