President Barack Obama on Labor Day sent a strong signal that he’s listening to calls for more government investment in the nation’s crumbling infrastructure – which, as importantly, would put thousands of construction workers back to work. ..
ONE OF THE MEN credited with the founding of Labor Day in 1894, carpenter Peter McGuire, suggested “setting aside one day in the year to be designated as ‘Labor Day,’ and to be established as a general holiday for the laboring classes.” The day, he said, “should first be celebrated by a street parade, which would publicly show the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations. Next the parade should be followed by a picnic or a festival in some grove….” ..
Coopersville – In June 2008 the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 275 lost a great friend and advocate for working people when Pat Kramer passed due to complications from surgery. Pat was a lifelong sufferer of juvenile diabetes, which ultimately shortened his life. ..
- State AFL-CIO gives nod to to Whitmer for governor
- Falsely accused jobless claimants to get another day in court
- NMU invites students for a stay in The Woods
- Congress gets to work on multi-employer pension reform plan
- Senate party-line vote gives GOP majority on labor board
- Insulators urge: 'Unite for a Cure' for mesothelioma
- State review continues of petitions aimed at repealing prevailing wage
- Cadillac Tax delayed again; should be shelved permanently
- BWL spreading lots of capital for construction in our capital city
- Construction employment hums along in Michigan