LANSING – Anti-worker workers’ compensation reform measures pushed by state Republicans have separately passed both the Michigan House and Senate – but at press time, differences in the two bills had yet to be worked out by a conference committee. ..
WASHINGTON D.C. – The anti-union fervor that permeates the vast majority of the Republican Party and the big business community has been brought front and center in a case that’s pending in front of the National Labor Relations Board. ..
STERLING HEIGHTS – In mid-2009, the Chrysler Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (SHAP) was given a death sentence by its parent company – which itself was alive only through financial help from the federal government. ..
For most of the last century, the basic bargain at the heart of the American economy was that employers paid their workers enough to buy what American employers were selling. ..
JACKSON – Consumers Energy announced Dec. 2 that is has canceled plans to construct a new baseload coal-burning power plant on the grounds of its existing Karn-Weadock plant near Bay City. ..
LANSING – Gov. Rick Snyder’s new plan to tax the pensions of private and public workers does not violate the state constitution and may proceed, according to a Nov. 18 ruling by a divided Michigan Supreme Court. ..
MARQUETTE – Wisconsin Energies imports about 1.6 million tons of coal every year at its Presque Isle Power Plant – but not quite all of it has made it to the plant’s boilers to be burned. ..
- State AFL-CIO gives nod to to Whitmer for governor
- Falsely accused jobless claimants to get another day in court
- NMU invites students for a stay in The Woods
- Congress gets to work on multi-employer pension reform plan
- Senate party-line vote gives GOP majority on labor board
- Insulators urge: 'Unite for a Cure' for mesothelioma
- State review continues of petitions aimed at repealing prevailing wage
- Cadillac Tax delayed again; should be shelved permanently
- BWL spreading lots of capital for construction in our capital city
- Construction employment hums along in Michigan