On Sept. 8, President Obama powerfully called on the Congress to end the “political circus” and act on jobs. His agenda featured proposals that have traditionally gained bipartisan support. He indicted the failed conservative notion “that the only thing we can do to restore prosperity is just dismantle government, refund everybody’s money, and let everyone write their own rules, and tell everyone they’re on their own – that’s not who we are. That’s not the story of America.” ..
WASHINGTON (PAI) – Union leaders generally praised Democratic President Barack Obama’s proposed $450 billion multi-year jobs creation plan, the American Jobs Act, with several warning congressional Republicans against obstructing it. ..
IRON MOUNTAIN – More room(s) are in the works for medical patients at the Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center. ..
Organized labor in Michigan has received its share of body blows this year from state Republicans, who control all levers of power in state government. ..
LANSING – Michigan AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney announced Sept. 9 that he would not be seeking re-election at the labor federation’s election this fall. ..
One of the first casualties of the new state law banning project labor agreements is one of the oldest building trades labor-management pacts in the U.S.: Washtenaw County’s Construction Unity Board (CUB) agreement. ..
- Trades rally, sign up to support prevailing wage
- State lawmakers seem ready to OK reparations for unemployment 'fraud'
- New, improved physical ed building erected at Kellogg CC
- NLRB majority backs company line during bargaining
- GOP tax cut: fulfilling a corporate wish list
- Contractors also get some gifts from tax cut
- Construction employment up as 2017 was closing
- News Briefs
- Counter-petition drive launched to save Michigan's prevailing wage law
- New sheetmetal coil line puts Mall City on a roll