On Sept. 8, President Obama powerfully called on the Congress to end the “political circus” and act on jobs. His agenda featured proposals that have traditionally gained bipartisan support. He indicted the failed conservative notion “that the only thing we can do to restore prosperity is just dismantle government, refund everybody’s money, and let everyone write their own rules, and tell everyone they’re on their own – that’s not who we are. That’s not the story of America.” ..
WASHINGTON (PAI) – Union leaders generally praised Democratic President Barack Obama’s proposed $450 billion multi-year jobs creation plan, the American Jobs Act, with several warning congressional Republicans against obstructing it. ..
IRON MOUNTAIN – More room(s) are in the works for medical patients at the Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center. ..
Organized labor in Michigan has received its share of body blows this year from state Republicans, who control all levers of power in state government. ..
LANSING – Michigan AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney announced Sept. 9 that he would not be seeking re-election at the labor federation’s election this fall. ..
One of the first casualties of the new state law banning project labor agreements is one of the oldest building trades labor-management pacts in the U.S.: Washtenaw County’s Construction Unity Board (CUB) agreement. ..
DETROIT – Barack Obama’s Labor Day visit to the Motor City – a presidential tradition from a generation ago which seems to have been mostly forgotten in recent decades – comes during a period in his term of office when the president and organized labor might benefit from spending some time together. ..
- State AFL-CIO gives nod to to Whitmer for governor
- Falsely accused jobless claimants to get another day in court
- NMU invites students for a stay in The Woods
- Congress gets to work on multi-employer pension reform plan
- Senate party-line vote gives GOP majority on labor board
- Insulators urge: 'Unite for a Cure' for mesothelioma
- State review continues of petitions aimed at repealing prevailing wage
- Cadillac Tax delayed again; should be shelved permanently
- BWL spreading lots of capital for construction in our capital city
- Construction employment hums along in Michigan