LANSING – The Republican steamroller against the state’s unions continued to be unstoppable last month, as a four-bill package designed to further reduce the clout of organized labor passed a House committee on Jan. 31. ..
LANSING – The trend of lower construction workplace fatalities in Michigan seems to be taking hold. ..
BAY CITY – The city’s prevailing wage law was repealed Feb. 6, on a 5-4 vote by a City Commission whose majority bared its conservative fangs and then bit into the region’s construction workers. ..
BRECKENRIDGE – The completion this month of Michigan’s largest wind farm puts a feather in the caps of Aristeo Construction and the building trades, while radically changing the face of the rural landscape around here. Construction was expected to wrap up in mid-February on the erection of 133 GE wind turbines, each capable of delivering 1.6 megawatts of power. The windmills are spread out on 30,000 acres in Gratiot County, about 20 miles west of Saginaw. It’s the largest wind farm in Michigan. ..
WASHINGTON (PAI) – Unions gained a net of 49,000 members nationwide in 2011 over 2010, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported January 27. The BLS said the union share of the U.S. workforce slipped slightly, down 0.1 percent – but was “essentially unchanged” – at 11.8 percent. ..
INDIANAPOLIS (PAI) – Indiana, thanks to its Radical Right GOP legislature and flip-flopping GOP Gov. Mitch Daniels, became the nation’s 23rd “Right to Work” state – and the first in the Great Lakes region – on Feb. 1. Union leaders blasted the legislation, and predicted it’ll boomerang at the ballot box this fall. ..
TRAVERSE CITY – A new 150-foot-tall control tower under construction at Cherry Capital Airport will help improve the view of air traffic controllers, while replacing a shorter, aging and outdated tower. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal signatures under state scrutiny
- Question of right-to-work for all public employees lands in Supreme Court
- Bridge work comes in all shapes and sizes for MDOT
- 'Composite' pension option in the works in Congress
- Union leaders to trump: ‘new NAFTA’ must boost workers’ rights, wages
- AFL-CIO says rule would slide $5.8 billion in tips over to employers
- News Briefs
- Prevailing wage repeal short on valid names - again?
- Study can't find benefits after repeal of prevailing wage law in Indiana
- 'A thing of beauty' Trades renovate elegant old friend, the Stott Tower