LANSING – For the second time in the last 12 months, the Republican-led state Legislature has banned state and local governments from entering into construction project labor agreements that involve the use of taxpayer dollars. ..
LANSING – And the battle is joined. ..
DETROIT – One by one, the city’s stock of century-old downtown high-rises is getting renovated, refurbished, and ready for the next generation of tenants. ..
WARREN – What has changed about the sheet metal industry since 1985, the year Steve Murzen took over as Local 80’s Training Director? ..
Two candidates with strong ties to Michigan’s building trades unions are running for state House of Representative seats in the Tuesday, Aug. 7 primary. ..
LANSING – The first of what will likely be several efforts to kill a ballot initiative designed to change Michigan’s constitution and permanently protect workers’ collective bargaining rights has been initiated. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
DETROIT – Cobo Arena apparently has some pretty good bones. Since late last year the building trades have been picking away at the iconic arena’s interior and exterior, prepping it for a signature expansion and renovation project in conjunction with adjacent Cobo Center. The shell of the circular arena that remains – and today, it really is just a shell – will be fitted out with new steel and foundations that will support ballrooms on two levels and replace much of the southern wall space with glass to create views of the Detroit River. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal signatures under state scrutiny
- Question of right-to-work for all public employees lands in Supreme Court
- Bridge work comes in all shapes and sizes for MDOT
- 'Composite' pension option in the works in Congress
- Union leaders to trump: ‘new NAFTA’ must boost workers’ rights, wages
- AFL-CIO says rule would slide $5.8 billion in tips over to employers
- News Briefs
- Prevailing wage repeal short on valid names - again?
- Study can't find benefits after repeal of prevailing wage law in Indiana
- 'A thing of beauty' Trades renovate elegant old friend, the Stott Tower