LANSING – The first of what will likely be several efforts to kill a ballot initiative designed to change Michigan’s constitution and permanently protect workers’ collective bargaining rights has been initiated. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
DETROIT – Cobo Arena apparently has some pretty good bones. Since late last year the building trades have been picking away at the iconic arena’s interior and exterior, prepping it for a signature expansion and renovation project in conjunction with adjacent Cobo Center. The shell of the circular arena that remains – and today, it really is just a shell – will be fitted out with new steel and foundations that will support ballrooms on two levels and replace much of the southern wall space with glass to create views of the Detroit River. ..
Traction in the U.S. construction industry continues to be elusive. ..
The ongoing lack of strength in the national construction industry is mirrored by Michigan numbers, as construction employment declined in 164 out of 337 U.S. metropolitan areas between May 2011 and May 2012, increased in 126 and stayed stagnant in 47, according to a new analysis of federal employment data released June 26 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
While the U.S. construction industry has been spinning its wheels for much of the first half of the year, the second six months should help the industry gain 2 percent in activity vs. 2011. ..
- Trades rally, sign up to support prevailing wage
- State lawmakers seem ready to OK reparations for unemployment 'fraud'
- New, improved physical ed building erected at Kellogg CC
- NLRB majority backs company line during bargaining
- GOP tax cut: fulfilling a corporate wish list
- Contractors also get some gifts from tax cut
- Construction employment up as 2017 was closing
- News Briefs
- Counter-petition drive launched to save Michigan's prevailing wage law
- New sheetmetal coil line puts Mall City on a roll