LANSING – The first of what will likely be several efforts to kill a ballot initiative designed to change Michigan’s constitution and permanently protect workers’ collective bargaining rights has been initiated. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
DETROIT – Cobo Arena apparently has some pretty good bones. Since late last year the building trades have been picking away at the iconic arena’s interior and exterior, prepping it for a signature expansion and renovation project in conjunction with adjacent Cobo Center. The shell of the circular arena that remains – and today, it really is just a shell – will be fitted out with new steel and foundations that will support ballrooms on two levels and replace much of the southern wall space with glass to create views of the Detroit River. ..
Traction in the U.S. construction industry continues to be elusive. ..
The ongoing lack of strength in the national construction industry is mirrored by Michigan numbers, as construction employment declined in 164 out of 337 U.S. metropolitan areas between May 2011 and May 2012, increased in 126 and stayed stagnant in 47, according to a new analysis of federal employment data released June 26 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
While the U.S. construction industry has been spinning its wheels for much of the first half of the year, the second six months should help the industry gain 2 percent in activity vs. 2011. ..
- State closer to approving $500M Line 5 utility tunnel at Straits
- What's up in Foxtown: new building, old theatre put trades to work
- Jobs incline is old but good, U-M outlook says
- 'New NAFTA' gets measured, good reviews from labor reserved
- News Briefs
- Labor braces for another year-end attack by GOP
- Will Dems finally go bold for nation's workers?
- Michigan starts to lag a bit with autumnal drop in construction
- Trades in concert at MSU Music Building expansion
- Masons rehab classic federal/postal building