LANSING – The first of what will likely be several efforts to kill a ballot initiative designed to change Michigan’s constitution and permanently protect workers’ collective bargaining rights has been initiated. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
DETROIT – Cobo Arena apparently has some pretty good bones. Since late last year the building trades have been picking away at the iconic arena’s interior and exterior, prepping it for a signature expansion and renovation project in conjunction with adjacent Cobo Center. The shell of the circular arena that remains – and today, it really is just a shell – will be fitted out with new steel and foundations that will support ballrooms on two levels and replace much of the southern wall space with glass to create views of the Detroit River. ..
Traction in the U.S. construction industry continues to be elusive. ..
The ongoing lack of strength in the national construction industry is mirrored by Michigan numbers, as construction employment declined in 164 out of 337 U.S. metropolitan areas between May 2011 and May 2012, increased in 126 and stayed stagnant in 47, according to a new analysis of federal employment data released June 26 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
While the U.S. construction industry has been spinning its wheels for much of the first half of the year, the second six months should help the industry gain 2 percent in activity vs. 2011. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal signatures under state scrutiny
- Question of right-to-work for all public employees lands in Supreme Court
- Bridge work comes in all shapes and sizes for MDOT
- 'Composite' pension option in the works in Congress
- Union leaders to trump: ‘new NAFTA’ must boost workers’ rights, wages
- AFL-CIO says rule would slide $5.8 billion in tips over to employers
- News Briefs
- Prevailing wage repeal short on valid names - again?
- Study can't find benefits after repeal of prevailing wage law in Indiana
- 'A thing of beauty' Trades renovate elegant old friend, the Stott Tower