How did Labor Day begin? ..
With the sun setting on another summer, Labor Day is making its annual melancholy appearance on the calendar. There’s still time to support each other and the institution of organized labor, with numerous Labor Day weekend events going on around Michigan. Here is some of what’s going on: ..
Conceived by America’s labor unions as a testament to their cause, the legislation sanctioning the Labor Day holiday was shepherded through Congress amid labor unrest and signed by President Grover Cleveland as a reluctant election-year compromise. ..
The Livingston County Board of Commissioners voted 5-4 on Aug. 4 to “not require prevailing wage” on county-funded construction projects. ..
DETROIT – There are at least 115 lighthouses in the State of Michigan, many of them continuing to provide a visible navigational aid to Great Lakes mariners, and in many cases, a fun waterfront destination for vacationers. ..
(Editor’s note: this is yet another article on the funding crisis involving multiemployer pension plans, which cover all over the building trades unions). ..
Michigan gained 4,300 construction jobs from July 2013 to July 2014, another ho-hum increase that reflects a national trend of painfully slow but generally steady upward monthly increases in employment. ..
A new executive order from President Obama will make it harder for companies to win federal contracts if they violate their workers’ rights and withhold their wages, the White House announced July 30. ..
- Legislature, Snyder OK new Straits pipeline tunnel
- Year-end legislative action: could have been worse for workers
- At home, on campus: New apartments meet a growing need at Wayne State
- BLS: fatal job injuries declined by 1% in 2017
- Scarcity of qualified workers may hinder construction
- News Briefs
- State closer to approving $500M Line 5 utility tunnel at Straits
- What's up in Foxtown: new building, old theatre put trades to work
- Jobs incline is old but good, U-M outlook says
- 'New NAFTA' gets measured, good reviews from labor reserved