WASHINGTON – The first major hurdle in a deal to extend federal long-term jobless benefits has been overcome, with a March 13 agreement by a bipartisan group of Senators. ..
LANSING - Passage of a one-cent sales tax increase would permanently render $1.2 billion more every year for road and bridge repairs in Michigan. Those are the basic numbers involving Proposal 1, which will appear on the May 5 statewide special election ballot. But they only touch the surface. ..
Labor's durability may key on friending a few GOP moderates: 'Politics is not a marriage. It's a business.'
LANSING - You may have heard once or twice from labor leaders over the last couple of decades that the next election is "the most important of our lifetime." ..
LANSING - Lurking just beyond the horizon of the May 5 Proposal 1 special election for added road money is prevailing wage repeal - a subject which was front and center with several speakers at the Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council's Legislative Conference earlier this month. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
(By Tony Trupiano) ..
Few people in Michigan are crazy about raising the sales tax by a penny, even if passage of Proposal 1 on May 5 means raising at least $1.2 billion more in money for roads and added dollars to fund education. ..
- Janus decision: GOP-named Supreme Court majority imposes right to work on public sector unions
- Dems unveil legislation to make it easier for public workers to organize
- New life, new purpose for Michigan Central Station
- ImPRESSive: Particleboard plant rises in Grayling
- New lock at the Soo takes a step forward
- News Briefs
- Some fight left in the battle to sustain Michigan's prevailing wage
- Our ability to win these battles starts at the ballot box
- Trades' solid work transforms Eastern Michigan's Strong Hall
- Utilities push state's coal plants toward extinction