WASHINGTON – The first major hurdle in a deal to extend federal long-term jobless benefits has been overcome, with a March 13 agreement by a bipartisan group of Senators. ..
LANSING - Passage of a one-cent sales tax increase would permanently render $1.2 billion more every year for road and bridge repairs in Michigan. Those are the basic numbers involving Proposal 1, which will appear on the May 5 statewide special election ballot. But they only touch the surface. ..
Labor's durability may key on friending a few GOP moderates: 'Politics is not a marriage. It's a business.'
LANSING - You may have heard once or twice from labor leaders over the last couple of decades that the next election is "the most important of our lifetime." ..
LANSING - Lurking just beyond the horizon of the May 5 Proposal 1 special election for added road money is prevailing wage repeal - a subject which was front and center with several speakers at the Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council's Legislative Conference earlier this month. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
(By Tony Trupiano) ..
Few people in Michigan are crazy about raising the sales tax by a penny, even if passage of Proposal 1 on May 5 means raising at least $1.2 billion more in money for roads and added dollars to fund education. ..
- State AFL-CIO gives nod to to Whitmer for governor
- Falsely accused jobless claimants to get another day in court
- NMU invites students for a stay in The Woods
- Congress gets to work on multi-employer pension reform plan
- Senate party-line vote gives GOP majority on labor board
- Insulators urge: 'Unite for a Cure' for mesothelioma
- State review continues of petitions aimed at repealing prevailing wage
- Cadillac Tax delayed again; should be shelved permanently
- BWL spreading lots of capital for construction in our capital city
- Construction employment hums along in Michigan