WASHINGTON – The first major hurdle in a deal to extend federal long-term jobless benefits has been overcome, with a March 13 agreement by a bipartisan group of Senators. ..
LANSING - Passage of a one-cent sales tax increase would permanently render $1.2 billion more every year for road and bridge repairs in Michigan. Those are the basic numbers involving Proposal 1, which will appear on the May 5 statewide special election ballot. But they only touch the surface. ..
Labor's durability may key on friending a few GOP moderates: 'Politics is not a marriage. It's a business.'
LANSING - You may have heard once or twice from labor leaders over the last couple of decades that the next election is "the most important of our lifetime." ..
LANSING - Lurking just beyond the horizon of the May 5 Proposal 1 special election for added road money is prevailing wage repeal - a subject which was front and center with several speakers at the Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council's Legislative Conference earlier this month. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
PAI Staff Writer ..
(By Tony Trupiano) ..
Few people in Michigan are crazy about raising the sales tax by a penny, even if passage of Proposal 1 on May 5 means raising at least $1.2 billion more in money for roads and added dollars to fund education. ..
- Legislature, Snyder OK new Straits pipeline tunnel
- Year-end legislative action: could have been worse for workers
- At home, on campus: New apartments meet a growing need at Wayne State
- BLS: fatal job injuries declined by 1% in 2017
- Scarcity of qualified workers may hinder construction
- News Briefs
- State closer to approving $500M Line 5 utility tunnel at Straits
- What's up in Foxtown: new building, old theatre put trades to work
- Jobs incline is old but good, U-M outlook says
- 'New NAFTA' gets measured, good reviews from labor reserved