ALLEN PARK – Now in its 13th year, the Boilermakers Local 169 High School Welding Invitational has earned a permanent spot on the spring calendar, establishing a program of matching up skilled high school welders with potential jobs in the Boilermakers. ..
U.S. construction firms added 45,000 jobs in April and 280,000 over 12 months, as the sector's unemployment rate fell to a nine-year April low of 7.5 percent, according to an analysis released May 8 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
Just in time for a vote on Proposal 1, the May 5 ballot issue that will determine if voters want to allocate more money to repair Michigan's roads, a nonprofit Washington D.C.-based transportation research group called TRIP is making sure voters are masters of the obvious. That is, our roads are in terrible condition, repair work is sorely under-funded, and the potholes will continue until more money is found to do the work. ..
Building trades' McGarvey urges outreach plan for construction unions 'It simply makes no sense to put all of our eggs in one political basket'
WASHINGTON D.C. - Building trades membership and market share are up, the business community is again starting to recognize the value provided by construction union labor, work opportunities are improving, and Congress provided a needed fix for multiemployer pension plans. ..
Michigan's construction industry, so far, is thoroughly enjoying 2015. ..
ANN ARBOR - Washtenaw Community College (WCC) and the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental and Reinforcing Iron Workers Union signed a five-year contract extension March 18 to continue to hold the renowned Iron Workers Instructor Training Program on the WCC campus. ..
- Redistricting ballot proposal may capsize politics as usual
- With prevailing wage, Minnesota succeeds where Michigan, neighbors failed
- Arresting development: Opening Day nears for city's new Police Station
- Trump moves union-busters back in the shadows
- No brakes on construction in Michigan
- Survey points to dynamic industry, nagging concerns about worker shortages
- After Janus, 'Join a union'
- Federal loans seen as saving grace for multiemployer plans
- Good, bad and ugly ideas related to pension reform
- Clean team: Post builds space to heighten their food safety