LANSING - The state Legislature's flurry of lawmaking at the end of 2015 didn't have anything to do with addressing pressing needs that would make Michigan a better state, like seeing to the water system disaster in Flint or finding a way to get the roads fixed faster. ..
LANSING - A long-time standard ratio for training in the state's electrical industry - one journeyman supervising one apprentice - is teed up to be the latest rule abolished by the Republican-controlled state Legislature. ..
By Mark Gruenberg
Press Associates ..
FLINT - Last fall, members and contractors affiliated with the United Association of Plumbers and Pipe Fitters Local 370 donated their time to install hundreds of home faucet filters in this city, whose water system has been contaminated by lead. ..
FLINT - Building trades union volunteers from across the state - and across most of the union crafts - have been giving their time and talent to help provide relief to victims of the city's water system crisis. ..
LANSING - For everyone who would like to witness a second failed petition effort to repeal the Michigan's Prevailing Wage Act of 1965, it's OK to hope for a long, cold winter. ..
Editor's note: IBEW Local 275 Business Manager Sean Egan, who is also president of the Kent-Ionia Labor Council, wrote this piece for the council in late December. It is updated to reflect that in early January, Gov. Rick Snyder signed the bill eliminating straight-ticket voting, then signed legislation that stops public entities from using funds to support their own millages within 60 days of the election, while opening up rules to allow more wealthy donors access to the political process. ..
By Steve Bieda (D)
State Senator, 9th District ..
- 'What's not at stake?' Looming general election offers workers a chance to finally bring change
- Report stings Schuette for suing to deny OT money for Michigan
- Trades erecting hotel for Saganing Eagles casino
- Forced layoff ends, Operators back on road projects
- Contractors squeezed by material costs, tariffs, worker shortages
- From the ashes, union brotherhood arises to benefit stricken Boilermaker
- News Briefs
- He said, she said... Labor Day brings out the differences between Whitmer, Schuette
- 'Undo and screw' GOP shenanigans strip wage, sick leave proposals from Nov. 6 ballot
- 125 years - Plumbers 98 celebrates milestone