A federal judge earlier this month brought a mixed ruling for supporters and detractors of the state’s right-to-work law. ..
Keep extending jobless benefits, and long-term unemployed people will be less motivated to find work. ..
By Douglas W. Stockwell
Operating Engineers Local 324 ..
The nation’s unionized building trades apprenticeship programs have some work to do when it comes to screening prospective apprentices. Getting more potential apprentices is hampered at the high school level, where teachers and counselors don’t talk up the trades as a career option. And even today’s industry professionals don’t think that the construction careers of tomorrow’s apprentices will last more than a decade. ..
Upper Peninsula Construction Council Executive Director Tony Retaskie was named the grand prize winner of the 2014 W.O. Lawton Business Leadership Award during a conference held March 29 through April 1 in Washington D.C. ..
- Janus decision: GOP-named Supreme Court majority imposes right to work on public sector unions
- Dems unveil legislation to make it easier for public workers to organize
- New life, new purpose for Michigan Central Station
- ImPRESSive: Particleboard plant rises in Grayling
- New lock at the Soo takes a step forward
- News Briefs
- Some fight left in the battle to sustain Michigan's prevailing wage
- Our ability to win these battles starts at the ballot box
- Trades' solid work transforms Eastern Michigan's Strong Hall
- Utilities push state's coal plants toward extinction