“What is ALEC?” asked New York Times columnist Paul Krugman on March 25. “Despite claims that it’s nonpartisan, it’s very much a movement-conservative organization, funded by the usual suspects: the Kochs, Exxon Mobil, and so on. Unlike other such groups, however, it doesn’t just influence laws, it literally writes them, supplying fully drafted bills to state legislators. In Virginia, for example, more than 50 ALEC-written bills have been introduced, many almost word for word. And these bills often become law.” ..
LANSING – Gov. Rick Snyder so far has not passed up any opportunity to sign Republican legislation aimed at limiting workers’ bargaining rights, benefits, income or legal standing. ..
LANSING – It may be hard to believe that a new power plant can be plunked down amid residences and business – and be welcomed by the neighbors as an asset to the community. ..
LANSING – Freight trains regularly rumble by the former Grand Trunk Western Depot these days. So does the Amtrak Blue Water passenger train, but it now stops in East Lansing. ..
‘Facebook for union
members’ Union Circle website launched
(Submitted by Union Circle.com) ..
- Janus decision: GOP-named Supreme Court majority imposes right to work on public sector unions
- Dems unveil legislation to make it easier for public workers to organize
- New life, new purpose for Michigan Central Station
- ImPRESSive: Particleboard plant rises in Grayling
- New lock at the Soo takes a step forward
- News Briefs
- Some fight left in the battle to sustain Michigan's prevailing wage
- Our ability to win these battles starts at the ballot box
- Trades' solid work transforms Eastern Michigan's Strong Hall
- Utilities push state's coal plants toward extinction