“What is ALEC?” asked New York Times columnist Paul Krugman on March 25. “Despite claims that it’s nonpartisan, it’s very much a movement-conservative organization, funded by the usual suspects: the Kochs, Exxon Mobil, and so on. Unlike other such groups, however, it doesn’t just influence laws, it literally writes them, supplying fully drafted bills to state legislators. In Virginia, for example, more than 50 ALEC-written bills have been introduced, many almost word for word. And these bills often become law.” ..
LANSING – Gov. Rick Snyder so far has not passed up any opportunity to sign Republican legislation aimed at limiting workers’ bargaining rights, benefits, income or legal standing. ..
LANSING – It may be hard to believe that a new power plant can be plunked down amid residences and business – and be welcomed by the neighbors as an asset to the community. ..
LANSING – Freight trains regularly rumble by the former Grand Trunk Western Depot these days. So does the Amtrak Blue Water passenger train, but it now stops in East Lansing. ..
‘Facebook for union
members’ Union Circle website launched
(Submitted by Union Circle.com) ..
- Prevailing wage repeal action suspended by Supreme Court
- Bipartisan U.S. House again says 'no' to dumping wage law
- State pipe trades apprentices reach for the top of their trade
- Insulators wrap up regional skills match
- Help 'set the table' at Marine memorial site
- No class: mandatory arbitration poised to become go-to method of settling work disputes
- News Briefs
- State board declines to OK prevailing wage repeal petitions
- Trades need to corral assets, keep high standards, and push for infrastructure now, NABTU chief says
- Crapo Building's old beauty bared behind Modern aluminum skin