LANSING – With the majority of the Michigan Supreme Court justices being sympathetic to right-wing conservatives, it comes as no surprise that the anti-union Associated Builders and Contractors is bringing them their latest case against prevailing wage. ..
Michigan joined 38 other states which saw construction employment increase in the month of June compared to June 2013. Despite a 1.2 percent drop in construction employment from May to June 2014, Michigan put 3,300 more workers to work compared to a year ago, a 2.5 percent hike. That placed us a middling No. 28 among the states in construction employment increases. ..
DETROIT – General Motors’ Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant is undergoing its first major expansion since it opened in 1985. ..
MADISON HTS. – The doctor is in. At the union hall. ..
Lamar Construction Co., a large, long-time nonunion contractor headquartered in Hudsonville in west Michigan , abruptly closed its doors on July 9, throwing about 280 workers onto the jobless rolls. ..
The Quicken Loans Data Center’s structural steel was topped out July 11, as Iron Workers Local 25 members, above, and Sterling Erectors moved quickly to make the building ready for its next construction phase. Located at Rosa Parks Blvd. and Porter Street in Detroit’s Corktown neighborhood, the 66,000 square-foot data center and office complex will include server rooms, training, office and support space. Half of the data center will be occupied by Quicken Loans’ technology team. Work began in May, with the construction and management conducted by Bedrock Real Estate Services, a Quicken Loans affiliated real estate firm, and has proceeded quickly. ..
- He said, she said... Labor Day brings out the differences between Whitmer, Schuette
- 'Undo and screw' GOP shenanigans strip wage, sick leave proposals from Nov. 6 ballot
- 125 years - Plumbers 98 celebrates milestone
- Healthy construction industry has few worries
- Prevailing wage repeal law should be tossed, group argues
- No straight-ticket voting on Nov. 6 ballot
- Iron worker leads 'raising gang' for veterans memorial wall
- News Briefs
- Union approval rating rises: best since 2003
- DTE Energy breaks ground on $1B Blue Water Energy Center