By Andy Meisner
Oakland County Treasurer ..
By Andy Meisner
With summer still here but the end in sight, celebrating Labor Day becomes the next major date on the calendar. More than a barbecue or a final trip to the cottage, Labor Day is also a unique celebration of the contributions of working men and women - and localities around Michigan offer numerous events to express your support. Here is some of what's going on: ..
MARQUETTE - The federal Environmental Protection Agency's steadfast refusal to allow construction of a proposed 21-mile road that would connect the Eagle Mine with its ore processing facility at the Humboldt Mill is drawing fire - and a lawsuit - from local supporters. ..
A motorcycle rally held on Aug. 8 for the Breath of Life Foundation raised more than $10,000 to support research in mesothelioma and other asbestos related diseases. The Breath of Life Foundation is a charity established jointly by the Insulator Locals and Contractor Associations throughout the Midwest. Michigan based Insulators Locals 25, 47 and Abatement Workers Local 207 all participate in that Foundation and its fundraising activities. ..
Construction employment in July climbed to the highest level since February 2009, while the number of unemployed workers with construction experience shrank to a 14-year low, according to an Aug. 7 analysis by the Associated General Contractors of America. Association officials cautioned that the diminishing pool of available qualified labor may be having an impact on the industry's ability to meet growing demand. ..
- Pelosi, building trades seek compromise on green construction that won't kill jobs
- Supreme Court sustains legal option for falsely accused jobless claimants
- Union contracts supercede medical/sick leave, comp time laws
- U.S. construction moves past rough patch
- Trades succeeding at EMU Success Center
- News Briefs
- ABC training remains consistent: They've been a constant failure
- EMU's Sill Hall ready for a reno
- 'We are going to build the tunnel' Maybe not Whitmer, Nessel slam brakes on Line 5 tunnel
- Proposed overtime pay rule has Chamber's fingerprints all over it