How did Labor Day begin? ..
With the sun setting on another summer, Labor Day is making its annual melancholy appearance on the calendar. There’s still time to support each other and the institution of organized labor, with numerous Labor Day weekend events going on around Michigan. Here is some of what’s going on: ..
Conceived by America’s labor unions as a testament to their cause, the legislation sanctioning the Labor Day holiday was shepherded through Congress amid labor unrest and signed by President Grover Cleveland as a reluctant election-year compromise. ..
The Livingston County Board of Commissioners voted 5-4 on Aug. 4 to “not require prevailing wage” on county-funded construction projects. ..
DETROIT – There are at least 115 lighthouses in the State of Michigan, many of them continuing to provide a visible navigational aid to Great Lakes mariners, and in many cases, a fun waterfront destination for vacationers. ..
(Editor’s note: this is yet another article on the funding crisis involving multiemployer pension plans, which cover all over the building trades unions). ..
Michigan gained 4,300 construction jobs from July 2013 to July 2014, another ho-hum increase that reflects a national trend of painfully slow but generally steady upward monthly increases in employment. ..
America’s two largest entitlement programs, Medicare and Social Security, are in fairly good financial shape in the near-term. But long-term, not much has changed: the nation’s aging population is going to wreak havoc on the programs without funding increases or benefit reductions. ..
- He said, she said... Labor Day brings out the differences between Whitmer, Schuette
- 'Undo and screw' GOP shenanigans strip wage, sick leave proposals from Nov. 6 ballot
- 125 years - Plumbers 98 celebrates milestone
- Healthy construction industry has few worries
- Prevailing wage repeal law should be tossed, group argues
- No straight-ticket voting on Nov. 6 ballot
- Iron worker leads 'raising gang' for veterans memorial wall
- News Briefs
- Union approval rating rises: best since 2003
- DTE Energy breaks ground on $1B Blue Water Energy Center