LANSING – Ten construction workers in Michigan died on the job in 2009, an historic low since MIOSHA has kept count since the agency came into existence in 1974. ..
For the first time since the start of the Great Recession, every state and the District of Columbia reported losing construction jobs over the 12 months leading up to December 2009, according to a new analysis of state-by-state employment data released this month. The analysis, conducted by the Associated General Contractors of America, found few signs of a construction industry recovery. (Although six states reported construction job increases between November and December 2009). ..
ANN ARBOR – The second of two new patient towers was handed over to St. Joseph Mercy Hospital last month, nearly completing a major transformation of the patient experience at the health care facility. ..
WASHINGTON (PAI) – By a 5-4 margin, an ideologically split U.S. Supreme Court on Jan. 21 threw out many restrictions on financing political campaigns – including limits on corporate and union spending, and bans on spending for ads within 60 days of an election. Its ruling opened the way for a flood of corporate campaign cash. ..
WASHINGTON (PAI)–The number of union members nationwide declined by 771,000 in 2009, to 15.33 million, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported. That wiped out numerical gains of the prior two years, combined. But unions’ share of the workforce was virtually unchanged, moving from 12.4% in 2008 to 12.3% last year. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal action suspended by Supreme Court
- Bipartisan U.S. House again says 'no' to dumping wage law
- State pipe trades apprentices reach for the top of their trade
- Insulators wrap up regional skills match
- Help 'set the table' at Marine memorial site
- No class: mandatory arbitration poised to become go-to method of settling work disputes
- News Briefs
- State board declines to OK prevailing wage repeal petitions
- Trades need to corral assets, keep high standards, and push for infrastructure now, NABTU chief says
- Crapo Building's old beauty bared behind Modern aluminum skin