By Edwin Hill
IBEW General President
Dan Lee was dripping with sweat and caked with dust and debris. He'd been at his job at an electronics recycling company for just a few weeks, sorting and testing cables and wiring from old computers and telephones. That bulky, cast-off home office Compaq computer that someone bought from Circuit City in the '90s? This is where it has come to die. And Lee's job was to see if any of its proverbial organs could be donated to modern tech equipment in need of a transplant. ..
By Edwin Hill
LANSING – The rush to adopt Michigan’s new right-to-work laws in last December’s lame-duck session has created some legal roadblocks. Whether they’re major or minor obstacles remains to be seen. ..
CINCINNATI – The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit heard arguments June 18 on whether to toss out or uphold a ban on state and local governments participating in construction project labor agreements (PLAs) in Michigan. ..
Many of Michigan’s bridges are in a fix: 12 percent are classified as “structurally deficient,” ranking our state’s spans No. 18 among the worst performers in the U.S. Overall in the U.S., 11 percent are considered structurally deficient. ..
Construction employment increased by 7,000 in May, helping to push the industry’s unemployment rate down to the lowest May level in five years, according to an analysis of new government data released June 7 by the Associated General Contractors of America. Association officials said the relatively positive jobs report for the sector underscores the need to address potential shortages of skilled workers. ..
- Union approval rating rises: best since 2003
- DTE Energy breaks ground on $1B Blue Water Energy Center
- Got milk? At Prairie Farms, it will be 'ultra' cold and long-lasting
- Producing national champs is getting routine for Local 169
- The union advantage elevates safety, too
- News Briefs
- Holiday events and activities mark Labor's day in Michigan
- Governor's race is labor's best chance to have impact again
- Beaumont, trades bring new vitality to former Botsford campus
- We must support candidates who will stand up for working men and women