WASHINGTON, D.C. – With the U.S. construction industry mired in a half-decade slump (you can make that a full decade in Michigan), AFL-CIO Building Trades Department President Sean McGarvey is focusing on two things the unionized sector can control: offering value to contractors and owners, and maximizing resources. ..
Investments in the stock market, which reached an all-time high last month, have been very helpful to sustaining the fiscal health of numerous union pension plans, including those that cover the workers in the U.S. construction industry. ..
DETROIT – Iconic Cobo Center is at a crossroads in its history. It’s currently a mixture of old and new construction and finished and rough surfaces – amidst a re-purposing and renovation of the facility that will hopefully make it viable for years to come. ..
That comes from a study released by the Associated General Contractors of America during National Work Zone Awareness Week (April 15-19). ..
The gain for total construction in March followed two months of decline, and was led by a strong increase for the non-building construction sector (public works and electric utilities). At the same time, March witnessed slightly reduced activity for both housing and nonresidential building. During the first three months of 2013, total construction starts on an unadjusted basis came in at $100.5 billion, unchanged from the same quarter a year ago. ..
LANSING – With at least one picket sign reading “ABC doesn't speak for me!” and a pair of inflatable rats, about 75 protesters took to Michigan Avenue next to the Radisson Hotel on April 24 to express their outrage with the anti-union Associated Builders and Contractors and the Republican lawmakers they support. ..
- Union approval rating rises: best since 2003
- DTE Energy breaks ground on $1B Blue Water Energy Center
- Got milk? At Prairie Farms, it will be 'ultra' cold and long-lasting
- Producing national champs is getting routine for Local 169
- The union advantage elevates safety, too
- News Briefs
- Holiday events and activities mark Labor's day in Michigan
- Governor's race is labor's best chance to have impact again
- Beaumont, trades bring new vitality to former Botsford campus
- We must support candidates who will stand up for working men and women