As the eight years of office for Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm comes to an end, the building trades can look back on her term with mixed emotions. The governor mostly delivered on a promise to give organized labor “a seat at the table,” in state government, and has bolstered the state’s prevailing wage law along with worker safety measures. ..
ANN ARBOR – It’s one thing to endorse a candidate – and hope he or she will support your causes. ..
MIDLAND – Structural iron started going up on the new “Strategic Services Center” near Dow Chemical Corp.’s headquarters last month. The 240,000 square-foot building will house operations for the alliance between Dow and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) ..
John Boehner, the Republican House leader who will become Speaker if Democrats lose control of the House in the upcoming midterms, recently offered his solution to the current economic crisis: “Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmer, liquidate real estate. It will purge the rottenness out of the system. People will work harder, lead a more moral life.” ..
The number of people working in construction is approaching a 14-year low now that the industry lost 21,000 jobs in September , while construction unemployment is at a September high of 17.2 percent, according to an analysis of federal employment figures released Oct. 8 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
DETROIT – This is a story about players and their playhouse. ..
- Pelosi, building trades seek compromise on green construction that won't kill jobs
- Supreme Court sustains legal option for falsely accused jobless claimants
- Union contracts supercede medical/sick leave, comp time laws
- U.S. construction moves past rough patch
- Trades succeeding at EMU Success Center
- News Briefs
- ABC training remains consistent: They've been a constant failure
- EMU's Sill Hall ready for a reno
- 'We are going to build the tunnel' Maybe not Whitmer, Nessel slam brakes on Line 5 tunnel
- Proposed overtime pay rule has Chamber's fingerprints all over it