LANSING - Michigan Democratic Gov. Jennifer Granholm and her challenger, Republican Richard DeVos live in the same state, but are a world away from each other when it comes to issues of importance to Michigan's working people. ..
Michigan hit by high cost of free trade
"Corporations, politicians and economists frequently claim that trade and U.S. investment in China create jobs and many other benefits for our economy. They are wrong. In fact, imports from China eliminated 54,000 jobs in Michigan alone between 1989 and 2003 and surging imports of Chinese auto parts now threaten the manufacturing backbone of Michigan's economy." ..
WASHINGTON (PAI) - Almost four million phone calls, and counting. Between two-to-three million informational mailings. And unionists by the tens of thousands, from international presidents to unaffiliated members, walking neighborhoods in 21 states, driving rural roads and contacting friends and allies. ..
It's a sign of the times when the high price of scrap metal contributes to employment in the building trades. ..
WASHINGTON - The Oct. 3 NLRB ruling that could deny union rights to eight million U.S. workers "may have far-reaching and adverse effects" on unionized construction workers, according to a letter sent to affiliates by AFL-CIO Building Trades Department Edward Sullivan. ..
In an era of seemingly never-ending health care cost increases, there's some good news from an annual survey of prescription drug prices. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal action suspended by Supreme Court
- Bipartisan U.S. House again says 'no' to dumping wage law
- State pipe trades apprentices reach for the top of their trade
- Insulators wrap up regional skills match
- Help 'set the table' at Marine memorial site
- No class: mandatory arbitration poised to become go-to method of settling work disputes
- News Briefs
- State board declines to OK prevailing wage repeal petitions
- Trades need to corral assets, keep high standards, and push for infrastructure now, NABTU chief says
- Crapo Building's old beauty bared behind Modern aluminum skin