LANSING – Last November , Michigan’s voters handed Republicans control over every lever of power in the state, including the House, the Senate, the governor’s office, and the state Supreme Court. ..
On Sept. 27, Bradford Jacobsen (R-Oxford), introduced House Bill 5002 at a Commerce Committee hearing in Lansing. The bill’s business backers claim it will stabilize, modernize and clarify the Workers’ Disability Compensation Act. Although Jacobsen said that the bill is not intended to harm anyone, in its present form, HB 5002 will seriously harm all injured Michigan workers. ..
QUINNESEC – Verso Paper Corp., already a harvester of trees for making its paper products, will soon have greater capacity to utilize formerly discarded wood parts like treetops, limbs and bark to create energy at the plant. ..
LANSING – Gov. Rick Snyder is expected to tell us about his plans for repairing the state’s crumbling infrastructure in an address on Oct. 24. ..
Several regions in Michigan enjoyed strong construction employment gains compared to the rest of the country between August 2010 and August 2011, the Associated General Contractors reported Sept. 26. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal action suspended by Supreme Court
- Bipartisan U.S. House again says 'no' to dumping wage law
- State pipe trades apprentices reach for the top of their trade
- Insulators wrap up regional skills match
- Help 'set the table' at Marine memorial site
- No class: mandatory arbitration poised to become go-to method of settling work disputes
- News Briefs
- State board declines to OK prevailing wage repeal petitions
- Trades need to corral assets, keep high standards, and push for infrastructure now, NABTU chief says
- Crapo Building's old beauty bared behind Modern aluminum skin