President Barack Obama on Labor Day sent a strong signal that he’s listening to calls for more government investment in the nation’s crumbling infrastructure – which, as importantly, would put thousands of construction workers back to work. ..
ONE OF THE MEN credited with the founding of Labor Day in 1894, carpenter Peter McGuire, suggested “setting aside one day in the year to be designated as ‘Labor Day,’ and to be established as a general holiday for the laboring classes.” The day, he said, “should first be celebrated by a street parade, which would publicly show the strength and esprit de corps of the trade and labor organizations. Next the parade should be followed by a picnic or a festival in some grove….” ..
Coopersville – In June 2008 the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 275 lost a great friend and advocate for working people when Pat Kramer passed due to complications from surgery. Pat was a lifelong sufferer of juvenile diabetes, which ultimately shortened his life. ..
- Legislature, Snyder OK new Straits pipeline tunnel
- Year-end legislative action: could have been worse for workers
- At home, on campus: New apartments meet a growing need at Wayne State
- BLS: fatal job injuries declined by 1% in 2017
- Scarcity of qualified workers may hinder construction
- News Briefs
- State closer to approving $500M Line 5 utility tunnel at Straits
- What's up in Foxtown: new building, old theatre put trades to work
- Jobs incline is old but good, U-M outlook says
- 'New NAFTA' gets measured, good reviews from labor reserved