President George W. Bush's Sept. 8 decision to suspend the payment of prevailing wages to construction workers rebuilding the hurricane-stricken Gulf region was roundly criticized by union officials and one of the nation's leading newspapers. ..
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Serious problems exist in nonunion apprenticeship programs, and the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) should take action to fix the programs as well as its own method of managing the training system. ..
new 10-story office tower "One Kennedy Square" joins the nearby Compuware building as the most recent additions to Detroit's skyline. ..
Detroit's oldest and most architecturally interesting school buildings, Southeastern High School is getting new life thanks to some $43 million in new construction and renovations. ..
Saying its efforts to reform the AFL-CIO from within have ended, UNITE HERE, which represents 441,452 textile, clothing, hotel and restaurant workers, became the latest union to leave the labor federation. ..
Construction material costs are expected to increase at least 10 percent next year following the destruction wrought by Hurricane Katrina, according to Associated General Contractors economist Ken Simonson. ..
Inflation drags U.S. wage gains
U.S. wages took a significant hike last year for some small groups of workers - including construction - but overall picked up only slightly for the vast majority of others, according to the U.S. Department of Labor's 2004 National Compensation Survey wage survey. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal action suspended by Supreme Court
- Bipartisan U.S. House again says 'no' to dumping wage law
- State pipe trades apprentices reach for the top of their trade
- Insulators wrap up regional skills match
- Help 'set the table' at Marine memorial site
- No class: mandatory arbitration poised to become go-to method of settling work disputes
- News Briefs
- State board declines to OK prevailing wage repeal petitions
- Trades need to corral assets, keep high standards, and push for infrastructure now, NABTU chief says
- Crapo Building's old beauty bared behind Modern aluminum skin