AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka spoke to Iron Workers International Union's 43rd convention in Las Vegas last month. Following are a few excerpts of his speech, which came the same week hospitality union workers were protesting their lack of a contract with the Trump Hotel Las Vegas. ..
By Mark Gruenberg ..
Saying the U.S. faces a looming energy crunch as nuclear power plants shut down and coal-fired electric plants are taken offline, the Laborers have launched a “Clean Power Progress” campaign for building more natural gas pipelines as a way to fill U.S. energy needs. ..
Fact: The unionization rate for the U.S. workforce in 2015 was 11.1 percent in 2015, the most recent low point in a long, steady decline in union penetration since there was a 20.1 percent representation rate in 1983. ..
Two-thirds of construction firms report they are having a hard time filling hourly craft positions that represent the bulk of the nation’s construction workforce, according to the results of an industry-wide survey released Aug. 31 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
- Janus decision: GOP-named Supreme Court majority imposes right to work on public sector unions
- Dems unveil legislation to make it easier for public workers to organize
- New life, new purpose for Michigan Central Station
- ImPRESSive: Particleboard plant rises in Grayling
- New lock at the Soo takes a step forward
- News Briefs
- Some fight left in the battle to sustain Michigan's prevailing wage
- Our ability to win these battles starts at the ballot box
- Trades' solid work transforms Eastern Michigan's Strong Hall
- Utilities push state's coal plants toward extinction