AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka spoke to Iron Workers International Union's 43rd convention in Las Vegas last month. Following are a few excerpts of his speech, which came the same week hospitality union workers were protesting their lack of a contract with the Trump Hotel Las Vegas. ..
By Mark Gruenberg ..
Saying the U.S. faces a looming energy crunch as nuclear power plants shut down and coal-fired electric plants are taken offline, the Laborers have launched a “Clean Power Progress” campaign for building more natural gas pipelines as a way to fill U.S. energy needs. ..
Fact: The unionization rate for the U.S. workforce in 2015 was 11.1 percent in 2015, the most recent low point in a long, steady decline in union penetration since there was a 20.1 percent representation rate in 1983. ..
Two-thirds of construction firms report they are having a hard time filling hourly craft positions that represent the bulk of the nation’s construction workforce, according to the results of an industry-wide survey released Aug. 31 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
- Prevailing wage repeal action suspended by Supreme Court
- Bipartisan U.S. House again says 'no' to dumping wage law
- State pipe trades apprentices reach for the top of their trade
- Insulators wrap up regional skills match
- Help 'set the table' at Marine memorial site
- No class: mandatory arbitration poised to become go-to method of settling work disputes
- News Briefs
- State board declines to OK prevailing wage repeal petitions
- Trades need to corral assets, keep high standards, and push for infrastructure now, NABTU chief says
- Crapo Building's old beauty bared behind Modern aluminum skin