AFL-CIO President Richard Trumka spoke to Iron Workers International Union's 43rd convention in Las Vegas last month. Following are a few excerpts of his speech, which came the same week hospitality union workers were protesting their lack of a contract with the Trump Hotel Las Vegas. ..
By Mark Gruenberg ..
Saying the U.S. faces a looming energy crunch as nuclear power plants shut down and coal-fired electric plants are taken offline, the Laborers have launched a “Clean Power Progress” campaign for building more natural gas pipelines as a way to fill U.S. energy needs. ..
Fact: The unionization rate for the U.S. workforce in 2015 was 11.1 percent in 2015, the most recent low point in a long, steady decline in union penetration since there was a 20.1 percent representation rate in 1983. ..
Two-thirds of construction firms report they are having a hard time filling hourly craft positions that represent the bulk of the nation’s construction workforce, according to the results of an industry-wide survey released Aug. 31 by the Associated General Contractors of America. ..
- Union voters help themselves on Election Day
- Marijuana legalization raises questions only the courts will answer
- State's new pot law lights up a few tokens of interest...
- BWL's substation offers high-voltage good looks
- Hopefully, just a little dip for Michigan construction
- We're still talking about putting asbestos in building products?!
- News Briefs
- Want prevailing wage back? The process starts with the Nov. 6 ballot
- More power to the people: Pine River wind project winds down
- Now the Hudson's Hole, but a tall order awaits for the trades