WASHINGTON - The year-end clock is ticking for the so-called "Do-Nothing Congress," and building trades pension plan stakeholders are among those pressing for federal lawmakers to follow a labor-management plan to help more multi-employer pension plans stay solvent. ..
LANSING – Michigan’s voters have had a good look from 2010-2014 at what total Republican control of state government looks like. Michigan being made into a right-to-work state. Permanent reduction of jobless from 26 weeks to 20 weeks. New rules that make it nearly impossible for injured employees to get workers compensation benefits. Higher taxes on senior pensions, lower taxes for corporations. ..
Your pension. Your health care. Your wage scale. Your workplace safety. Your union. ..
The Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council has endorsed Democrat Mark Totten as he seeks to unseat incumbent Bill Schuette for state attorney general in the Nov. 4 general election. ..
AFL-CIO's Trumka: To avoid an 'ass-kicking,' labor needs to step up its political outreach, big-time
DETROIT – Passage of Michigan’s right-to-work law in 2012 by Gov. Rick Snyder and the Republican Legislature “shivered the timbers of every union in every state,” said AFL-CIO President Rich Trumka. ..
LANSING – Michigan AFL-CIO President Karla Swift provided MIRS News Service with some of organized labor’s perspective concerning the Nov. 4 election. ..
Michigan’s open U.S. Senate seat was seen earlier this year by Republicans as a good, potential pickup for their party, with Terry Lynn Land seen as a solid candidate who was polling well. ..
The defection of a Republican Pennsylvania senator to the Democratic Party could have profound implications for the labor movement in the U.S. Or not. ..
Economically, Michigan is as sick as they come. So would instituting a union-killing, wage-lowering right-to-work law open the door to new businesses and return the state to fiscal prosperity? ..
- Whitmer to building trades: ‘We put labor back where it belongs with a real seat at the table’
- Saved! Deluge of public comments sustain trades' apprenticeship programs
- State's new labor agency chief: 'organized labor helped build the middle class'
- Unions have one of our own at state labor agency
- Mackinac Straits Line 5 tunnel plans on course, Enbridge says
- Construction employment, spending, up to start 2020
- New McLaren hospital on the rise in Lansing
- News Briefs
- Trump seeks end to collective bargaining for Defense workers
- Big pension challenges remain on Capitol Hill